Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Great Western Greenway

I cycled the Great Western Greenway a few weekends ago and really enjoyed the whole experience. I had never been to Westport. It is a picturesque and lively town. We rented bikes from Clew Bay bike hire. The lovely Fergal drove us to Achill and we cycled the 42 km back into Westport. If you are relatively fit this cycle is a breeze. Beautiful scenery and friendly interaction with locals and fellow cyclists along the way. Pop into Yvonne's cottage for a scone and tea break.

I must mention a few places in Westport to visit; the Willow Cafe Tea Room. Proper baking and quaint surroundings. The lemon drizzle is the best I have ever had. The Helm at the quays is a must for a pint or if you can get a table for dinner. Thanks to Shane who made our weekend and squeezed us in without a booking. Of the pubs in the town I was in McGings was my favourite. Matt Molloy's is a great spot too, you might be surrounded by numerous hen and stag parties though. Also recommend a visit to the grounds of the beautiful and grand Westport House.

Some of my photos of the stunning Mayo countryside along the Great Western Greenway.






 









© Ruth Maria Murphy 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment